Sunday, March 14, 2010

Gracias a la vida

There's this classic Chilean folk song, titled Gracias a la vida and written in the late 1960s by Violeta Parra, but made famous by the Argentinian singer Mercedes Sosa. When translated, it goes something like this:

Thanks to life, which has given me so much.
It's given me two eyes, that when I open them,
Can perfectly distinguish black from white,
Can distinguish the starry sky above me,
And from the multitudes, can find the man I love.

Thanks to life, which has given me so much.
It's given me ears which record crickets and canaries
Hammers and turbines and bricks and storms,
And the tender voice of my beloved...

Here is Mercedes Sosa's version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHiotOgbUAI

There's LOTS lost in my translation (and in the video's), but basically, the song's an ode to life, and to love. I was reminded of it last week, when different versions of the title (i.e. colour, font, size) were posted in every one of the classrooms at the kids' new school, after the Feb. 27 quake.

And, Gracias a la vida is exactly how I'm feeling right now, after having celebrated another birthday this weekend.

I too am grateful, because I've had a really nice life, made all that much better by my very own beloved who, aside from the past six weeks, has been with me for over 25 years... and will join me here in Santiago, in just 12 days.

Can't wait.....!
p.s. Have posted some birthday pics here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/suzannesoto03/MyBirthday#

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this, Suzanne. You're giving us a window not just into the earthquake's aftermath, but into Chilean culture as well. Mercedes Sosa is Argentinian. That makes me think that there's a strong affiliation between Chile and Argentina, at least culturally. Is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the lyrics - very insightful, and very true indeed! Thanks for sharing. Not just the song lyrics but your whole Chilean adventure. Great way to keep in touch and get a glimpse into a different culture, day by day and week by week!

    ps: Happy Birthday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bob,
    well, I haven't lived here for more than 30 yrs but from what I remember, Chile's relationship with Argentina resembled that of Canada with the U.S., with Chile viewing Argentina as the big, rich, boasty neighbour to the west). But yeah, the countries do get along much better than, say, Chile and Peru (with whom it's been almost at war) or Chile and Bolivia (with whom it constantly fights over water rights). Also, following the quake, Argentina has sent tons of help here. FYI... S.

    ReplyDelete