Wednesday, April 14, 2010

$tep right thi$ way....

I decided to see a doc while down here. Nothing's wrong; I just wanted a second opinion, on a few things. I also wanted to experience the Chilean medical system a bit.

According to the internet, Chilean health care is provided through two systems operating in parallel: public and private. Workers pay for both systems through a mandatory contribution of at least 7 per cent of their salaries.

Basic health care is guaranteed to all Chileans, regardless of their ability to pay, through the state run FONASA (National Health Fund). The private system is delivered by health insurance providers called Isapres (Institutes of Public Health and Preventive Medicine), which in addition to receiving public funding, sell different levels of private health insurance to individuals wanting to "top-up" what's offered by the public system.

The way I understand it, Isapres offer and pay for services and care above and beyond what FONASA does. Let's say a basic ear exam paid for by FONASA is $80, but you want a couple of additional audiology tests done, which cost another $60, so, that comes out your Isapre, or your own health insurance, which you're paying additional premiums for.

Isapres generally work through a network of private health care providers who are either independent or contractually linked to the Isapre. One such Isapre health care provider is IntegraMedica, ( http://integramedica.cl/) a chain of privately-owned, medical service clinics located all over Santiago, and which Gladys, my dad's wife, referred me to.

These are gorgeous, modern, several storey high buildings offering the whole range of medical services. I.e. First floor is usually the lab; second: general medicine, pediatrics; third: mental health, dermatology; fourth: cardiology, neurology, traumatology; fifth: gynecology; sixth, dental health.... etc. You name it -- they HAVE it.

I wanted a full medical check-up with a female doc so I picked up the phone late one morning and called an IntegraMedica building two blocks away, hoping for an appointment later that week. "Si...," said the receptionist. " I have several openings today. How is 2:30?"

"TODAY?!" I said, choking on my coffee. "Sure...."

When I arrived, I saw the interior of IntegraMedica's buildings are as sparkly clean as their exteriors. Of course, the very first question I was asked upon arrival was, "How are you paying for this?" Well, what they actually asked was which "Isapre" did I have? As I have neither FONASA nor Isapre, I said "private."

"Then, that will be $65 for today's visit with the doc. And we accept cash, VISA or MasterCard...." A minute later, a petite brunette about my age, wearing a lab coat and stethoscope, called my name and off I went, with Dr. Elida Gonzalez. We spent about half an hour together, with about a quarter of this time being the doc inputting all kinds of info about me on her desktop computer. She also ordered a half a dozen tests -- everything from bloodwork to... well, you don't need to know.

Each test has its own cost, of course (starting at about $12 and going up to $48, for me, anyway), which you also pay upfront. But, you can check your results... on line! even before coming back to discuss them with the doc.

Exactly a week later, I got an appointment with Dr. Gonzalez, again, the same day I called. "Everything looks good," she said. "I'm just going to give you a prescription for...."  some meds that cost me about $20, and done I was!

To say it was the fastest, most efficient and best medical encounter I've had in many, many years would be the understatement of the year (for me). Yes, I had to pay for it out of my own pocket... but, really, I pay in Canada, too, just in a different way.

Of course, no system is perfect. Here's an article that puts it all into a broader context: http://managedhealthcareexecutive.modernmedicine.com/mhe/Managed+Care+Outlook/Chiles-healthcare-offers-public-and-private-plans/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/647865

I'm just glad everything was a-OK with my health.... Now, about those teeth....

5 comments:

  1. Suzanne, thanks so much for these posts; they are some of the best on the net! I'll miss them when your are back, so you'll have to come over and tell us stories every Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzanne, it would be interesting to see what the facilities and appointment wait-times are like for FONASA-only patients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Greg! (you're too kind!). I'm just trying to make these interesting to read...

    Bob -- since my post, I've noticed/driven by a couple of FONASA public health facilities and no, they look nothing like IntegraMedica fancy towers, fyi...

    ReplyDelete
  4. same back in Brazil.... I appreciate how Canadians feel about not paying for health here... but we should be given the option and be able to do just what you did... I do the same when I go to Brazil and MISS IT! Glad to hear you are all okye dokey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very topical, given the reforms in the US and in Ontario, although specific to drug spending!

    ReplyDelete