Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Last Post, 1

Hey everyone, so I've come to the end of my sabbatical -- my "gran aventura."

It still feels strange being back in Canada, but it also feels really, really right.

Anyway, as this is my last post on this particular blog, I wanted to write about some of the things I will really miss about Chile, and my sabbatical. And here they are, in no particular order:

Santiago: is a lovely, interesting, incredibly vibrant city. Just like in some parts of Europe, there are people sitting in outdoor cafes, dining out, shopping, taking the metro, and just... walking around, enjoying themselves, at all hours. Not like in.... Guelph, or Toronto, where you can shoot a cannon down University Avenue at 9 p.m. 'cause there's no one around.

Here are a few more pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/suzannesoto03/SantiagoScenes#

Americo: Okay, so, there was one latin guy I did like, and he is the Chilean singer Americo. I must confess, it was not love at first sight, or sound. I kept hearing his songs on the radio and then saw him perform on TV. I still didn't like him, or his music. Slowly, however, his songs -- played everywhere -- started getting under my skin and I found myself singing along. I ended up bringing 3 CDs of his music with me to Canada.


Here are links to a couple of his biggest hits:
Te vas (You're leaving):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3WF1pPGg-A&feature=related
El embrujo (I'm bewitched):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CuGIDnnzsU

Chilean ice cream: is the absolute best. If you know me well, you know I actually don't like ice cream that much (prefering dangerous pastries instead). However, South American ice cream is fluffy, creamy-dreamy, heavenly. And the selection of flavours... incredible!


I have more things that I will definitely miss about Chile, but will have to post later as right now, I've gotta go! More soon.....

1 comment: